US Lifts 12-Year-Old Vessel Restriction On Nigerian Ports
The United States has lifted a 12-year-old Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving from Nigeria, removing additional security requirements that had increased scrutiny of Nigerian port calls before ships could enter US waters.
Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr Adegboyega Oyetola, announced the decision, describing it as a major milestone in Nigeria’s efforts to strengthen maritime security, improve port competitiveness and restore confidence in the country’s port and shipping system.
The Condition of Entry, which took effect on June 25, 2014, required vessels bound for the United States that had called at designated Nigerian ports during their previous five port calls to undergo additional security measures and enhanced scrutiny before entering US waters.
Its removal effectively ends more than a decade of additional security requirements linked specifically to vessel calls at Nigerian ports.
Oyetola said the decision by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) was a strong recognition of improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security architecture and implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code across the country’s ports and maritime facilities.
He attributed the development to sustained efforts by the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy, through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), in collaboration with government agencies, port and terminal operators, shipping companies and other industry stakeholders.
According to the Minister, the coordinated measures were aimed at closing identified security gaps and demonstrating Nigeria’s continued compliance with international maritime security standards.
The lifting of the restriction could also strengthen the competitiveness of Nigerian ports by reducing the additional security burden previously associated with vessels that had called at Nigerian facilities before proceeding to the United States.
For shipping operators, the removal could improve the attractiveness of Nigerian ports as calls would no longer automatically trigger the additional US security measures associated with the Condition of Entry.
The development comes as Nigeria continues to seek greater investment and higher cargo volumes through its maritime sector, with the Federal Government positioning improved port efficiency and security as key components of its Blue Economy strategy.
Separately, Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, highlighted the growing importance of US military technology and intelligence support to Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations.
Speaking during a visit to Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United States, Kayode Are, at the Embassy of Nigeria in Washington, D.C., Musa cited advanced drone capabilities and satellite intelligence as important elements supporting the operational successes of the Nigerian military.
The engagement, held on August 17, focused on strengthening bilateral defence cooperation, particularly in counter-terrorism, intelligence sharing, technical training and military modernisation.
Musa said the strategic engagements were being conducted with full respect for Nigeria’s national sovereignty.
Ambassador Are commended the security reforms under President Bola Tinubu and reaffirmed the embassy’s commitment to facilitating diplomatic channels for technical training, intelligence cooperation and equipment support.
Musa also inspected the embassy’s Defence Section and commended Defence Attaché, Air Commodore Valentine Oreaki, and his team.
For Nigeria’s maritime sector, however, the lifting of the US restriction represents the more immediate economic milestone, potentially improving the country’s standing with international shipping operators and strengthening the case for Nigerian ports as competitive gateways for global trade.

